Thursday, November 7, 2013

McCreedy Fighting For Breast Cancer Awareness


PROVIDENCE (Nov. 7, 2013) - Popular New England fighter "Irish" Joey McCreedy will be fighting for Breast Cancer Awareness in the main event on "Royale Rumble," presented by Big Six Entertainment, November 23 on a special Saturday afternoon card (5 p.m. ET start) at The Royale Nightclub Boston (formerly The Roxy).

McCreedy (14-6-2, 6 KOs), fighting out of the same hometown as "Irish" Micky Ward (Lowell, Mass.), is trained by Ward's brother, Dicky Eklund.  His opponent in the six-round bout is Nigerian light heavyweight Dennis Ogboo (7-7, 6 KOs), who lives in Lexington, Kentucky.

McCreedy has dedicated his Nov. 23rd fight to Dianne Levasseur, the mother of his close friend, who passed away last year with breast cancer.  The 28-year-old McCreedy will wear pink ribbons on his shorts.

"I was supposed to fight last month (Breast Cancer Awareness Month) in Rhode Island," McCreedy explained, "but that fight was canceled so I'm dedicating this fight to Dianne. I want women with breast cancer to know they're not fighting alone. We may fight in the ring, but these women are the real warriors.  They're fighting for their lives.  They aren't alone in their fight to survive; we have their backs.  Cancer effects everybody - friends and family - and I just want breast cancer victims to know we care."

McCreedy hasn't fought since this past St. Patrick's Day, when he won a unanimous eight-round decision over Michael Walchuk.   He claims this will be his last fight as a light heavyweight.

"After this fight I want to tackle the top super middleweights," McCreedy said.  "I've been known to party after a fight and put on weight.  I'm getting a little older and I'm already on weight.  I has my fight canceled last month but stayed focused and in the gym. I ran a lot and the weight came off easier since I rededicated myself to training. I'm already on weight.  I'm a free promotional free agent and Jerry Simpson is my new manager.  I want to stay active."

In the eight-round co-feature, Irag War veteran Chris Traietti (14-3, 10 KOs), fighting out of nearby Quincy, meets Randy "The Rattler" Campbell (3-10, 2 KOs), of Charleston (WV) in a rematch of a fight 2 ½ years ago, in which Traietti won a six-round majority decision.  
Undefeated Lawrence heavyweight Alexis Santos (11-0, 10 KOs) puts his perfect record on the line against Ohioan veteran Kevin Franklin (4-7, 1 KO) in a six-rounder.  Lynn welterweight "Speedy" Rashidi Ellis (2-0, 1 KO) faces Hartford's (CT) Oscar Diaz (0-2) in a four-round fight.

Also fighting on the card is Stoneham (MA) welterweight Greg Vendetti (4-0-1, 2 KOs) and Brockton's (MA) Antonio Chaves Fernandez (3-13-2) in a six-round rematch.  They fought to a four-round draw this past July at the same venue.

Marshfield (MA) junior middleweight Aleksandra Magdziak Lopes (10-2, 1 KO) and "Notorious" Nicole Woods (11-2-2, 3 KOs), from Stone Mountain, Georgia, will meet in a battle of former world title challengers in a six-round bout.

All fighters are subject to change.

Tickets, reasonably priced at $40.00, $50.00 and $75.00, are available to purchase by calling 1.617.312.5059.

Doors open at 4:00 p.m. ET with the first bout scheduled for 5:00 p.m. ET

No comments:

Post a Comment